Mushroom Fajita Bowl
The weather has been such that I’m still in a bowl of warm, steamy goodness mode, but really ready for the bounty of spring. For me, fajitas are a summer fare, to be enjoyed with a frothy margarita while watching the sunset. Dreaming aside, I decided to turn a fajita into a bowl… just like Chipotle does, only much, much better.
Fajitas are pretty straight forward. A lot of peppers and onions, and for this veggie fare, a lot of lightly marinaded mushrooms. What really sets this one apart is the avo-cashew cream. I nearly cried it was so good… and went back for a second scoop, wondering how it would be on toast, or a veggie wrap, or hiding in the corner with a spoon. The good news is the recipe below makes quite a bit of extra on the avo-cashew cream, so such indulgences can happen.
Mushroom Fajita Bowl with Avo-Cashew Cream
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 medium portabello mushrooms
4 medium cremini mushrooms
8 ounces slices white mushrooms
1 each red, orange, green pepper thinly sliced
1 small sweet onion thinly sliced
For the mushroom marinade:
1 lime, zest and juice
1 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon marjoram
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Avo-Cashew Cream:
1 cup raw cashews
1 ripe avocado
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
Pinch sea salt
4-6 Tablespoons water
For the bowl assembly:
- Soak cashews for 2 hours to overnight.
- Prepare the marinade by whisking all ingredients together.
- Clean and slice mushrooms.
- Gently toss mushrooms in the marinade and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes, tossing every 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare Avo-Cashew cream by draining the cashews very well and adding all ingredients except the water to a food processor or high speed blender.
- Start with adding 3 tablespoons of water to the blender or processor, and adding more as needed. Remember to stop and scrape down the sides as needed. You want the mixture to be smooth, creamy, and slightly thick.
- Heat a large wok or grill pan.
- Add mushrooms and marinade to the pan and allow to sear.
- Gently flip mushrooms and add peppers and onions.
- As needed, add a little water or vegetable broth to the pan to prevent sticking.
- Cook 5-7 minutes until peppers are softened and onions begin to turn translucent.
- Prepare your bowls by first adding the cooked rice.
- Top with mushrooms, peppers, and onions.
- Add avo-cashew cream, salsa, and more avocado slices. if desired.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Make the avo-cashew cream ahead. It stores well in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Pre-chopping all the veggies saves time and allows you to cook in smaller batches through the week.
- Make the marinade ahead and keep in the fridge for up to a week.
- Batch cook rice! Cooked rice will keep well in the fridge for up to a week. You can also freeze individual servings for a quick thaw and reheat during the week.